With the subscription of 700 shares by workers, artisans and small business owners, the equivalent of a capital of 35,000 lire, the Società Popolare di Mutuo Credito was founded in 1865 in Cremona, the most populated town in a rich agricultural zone, as a tool for realising the humanitarian ideas of the Risorgimento.
The first branches opened in 1866 and in 1870, the bonds issued by the Popolare were also prevalent in Piacenza, Parma and Mantua. In 1883, the Bank had 5279 members and offered mortgages, agricultural loans, unguaranteed loans, and exchange transactions, with major benefits for the local economy.
During the World Wars and the crisis of 1929, the Bank played a key role in saving local companies. Acquired by Banca Popolare di Lodi in 2003, it now forms part of the Banco Popolare Group with a presence in Lombardy and Emilia Romagna.